Music video: Kyary Pamyu Pamyu - Harajuku iyahoi

Kyary Pamyu Pamyu - Harajuku iyahoi | Random J Pop

I'm not going to front. There was actually a point at which I was really into Kyary Pamyu Pamyu. I didn't get into the "PONPONPON" hype like everybody else. But when her second full length album Nanda collection dropped, Kyary really started to win over my attention. But ever since then she hasn't really offered up much.

Kyary's aesthetic feels tired and her music is becoming less of an accessory to her character. "Sai & co." was a nice form of respite amidst the mediocrity that had become Kyary's music. But "Harajuku iyahoi" is just so damn boring and generic. I don't even blame Kyary. I blame her music producer and partner in crime Yasutaka Nakata. He's clearly lost that wildly creative spark that made her early material so good. We ain't never getting another "Fashion monster" or "Invader invader" again. Those ships have sailed.


The music video to "Harajuku iyahoi" cool. I'm not entirely sure what the concept was. As with all of Pussy Pam's videos, the whole thing is like some wild acid trip. But I do love that whenever CGI or animation is used in a Kyary video, it's always done well. It wasn't stark glaringly obvious that many of the dancing characters were CGI and not people in suits. But the song is garbage.

Comments